LIST: The Best 15 Music Videos of 2021
From Arca's world-building epic to Olivia Rodrigo's prom to Megan Thee Stallion's all-out booty assault, these are our picks for best musical visuals this year
15. PinkPantheress, "Just for me" dir. LAUZZA & PinkPantheress
In an intimate setting, PinkPantheress and her DJ perform a cute little concert for some angsty looking fans.
14. Charli XCX, "Good Ones" dir. Hannah Lux Davis
Charli XCX dies.
13. Playboi Carti, "Sky" dir. Nick Walker
Playboi Carti and his punk friends fuck up a supermarket in night vision. It's simple, yet extremely fun.
12. Mitski, "Working For The Knife" dir. Zia Anger
Mitski walks around what looks like an old rec center, and licks a wooden arm rail. It's very artistic, you wouldn't understand.
11. Genesis Owusu, "Gold Chains" dir. Riley Blakeway
Genesis Owusu dabbles in conspicuous consumption with gold chains, a gold mic and a heart of gold as well.
10. Drake, Future & Young Thug, "Way 2 Sexy" dir. Dave Meyers
Drake, Future, Young Thug, Kawhi Leonard and a bunch of hot women dress up in a bunch of silly outfits. Classic Drake goofiness.
9. Lil Nas X & Jack Harlow, "Industry Baby" dir. Christian Breslauer
Lil Nas X and Jack Harlow escape prison and piss off conservatives. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
8. Vince Staples, "LAW OF AVERAGES" dir. Christo Anesti & Glenn Michael
While the music of Vince Staples has gotten to be pretty unenthusiastic at this point, his eye for visuals is still very much on point. Lots of zooms of homies chilling in Long Beach.
7. Tyler, The Creator, "CORSO" dir. Wolf Haley
Tyler, The Creator directs his own little short film for one of the more underappreciated tracks from his new album. DJ Drama is there too, and he's yelling!
6. Megan Thee Stallion, "Thot Shit" dir. Aube Perrie
Goddamn....that old man is the luckiest dude on Earth. Megan Thee Stallion shows what the phrase "Hot Girl" truly entails.
5. FKA twigs & The Weeknd, "Tears In The Club" dir. Amber Grace Johnson
FKA twigs and The Weeknd get trippy, grimy, artistic and wet in one of the best pop videos of the year.
4. Olivia Rodrigo, "SOUR PROM" dir. Kimberly Stuckwisch & Toby L
While the long-form version of this has since been taken down for reasons unknown, this is a colorful and celebratory visual treat that perfectly compliments Rodrigo's album, even if it is split into small parts.
3. Kanye West, "Come To Life" dir. Kanye West & Nico Ballesteros
Kanye rebuilds his childhood home, destroy it while lighting himself on fire and then fake re-marries his ex-wife, styled by Balenciaga.
2. Baby Keem & Kendrick Lamar, "family ties" dir. Dave Free
This is kind of cheating, because it's like 100 little videos in one, but this is one of the most thrilling rap music videos we've seen in a while. Baby Keem and Kendrick Lamar are nothing if not showmen.
1. Arca, "Prada/Rakata" dir. Frederik Heyman & Alejandra Ghersi
This is one of the wackiest, most impressive visual feasts of the year. Before we knew it, Arca gave us every single cover for her KICK series, which has five total parts. This is a culmination of all the amazing talent that Arca has displayed over the past ten or so years in the industry, it's a coming out part of intergalactic proportions.